Rehabilitation & Reuse

 

TANNER CENTER

2012 Tanner Sketchup-lkfNEWPORT, COCKE COUNTY – TN

Tanner Preservation Alliance and the City of Newport requested help with preserving Tanner School in Newport, TN. It is the site of a historic Rosenwald School. These African American schools were built in the early 1900’s and funded by Sears and Roebuck president Julius Rosenwald. With the help of Michael Brady Architects we have developed options for potential tenants to occupy the building.

Learn More

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

KNOXVILLE BOTANICAL GARDENS AND ARBORETUM – CENTER FOR URBAN AGRICULTURE

2034 View 01-3KNOXVILLE, KNOX COUNTY, TN
The S.S. Howell Nursery building is to be the catalyst for the Urban Agriculture Campus. It was built in the early 1900’s and served as the business office. ETCDC and volunteer architect, Lee Ingram along with Arin Streeter from Brewer Ingram Fuller developed concept floor plans and renderings of the building and renovated greenhouse. The building will contain event space, leasing office for Nourish Knoxville, and classroom/ meeting room. The building will be historically preserved with the later addition removed and historic window locations reopened. Handicap Accessible parking and building entrances were studied and influenced the design.

Learn More

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………

HISTORIC KNOXVILLE HIGH SCHOOL

IMG_2594KNOXVILLE, KNOX COUNTY, TN
The Community Design Center was asked by city of Knoxville Community Development to develop and facilitate a process that would fulfill the Board Of Education request to study the possible uses for Historic Knoxville High School. We developed a public involvement process, assembled a stakeholder steering committee, and a team of volunteer professional advisors to assist the Center. The process consisted of documenting the existing building conditions, creating a historical timeline, and organizing and facilitating a public input meeting.

Learn More

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………

 

OAKWOOD ELEMENTARY SCHOOL

OakwoodCropKNOXVILLE, KNOX COUNTY, TN
The Community Design Center was asked by city of Knoxville Community Development to develop and facilitate a process that would fulfill the Board Of Education request to study the possible uses for Oakwood Elementary School. We developed a public involvement process, assembled a stakeholder steering committee, and a team of volunteer professional advisors to assist the Center. The process consisted of documenting the existing building conditions, creating a historical timeline, and organizing and facilitating a public input meeting.

Learn More

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………

DOWNTOWN YWCA

KNOXVILLE, KNOX COUNTY, TN
The YWCA of Knoxville has a long and honorable history of serving women and their families, and of working hard to end racism in our community. The facility built in 1925 was in great need of modernization and upgrades to meet current safety codes and accomodate more guests.

Learn More

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………

GOOD SAMARITAN CENTER

LENIOR CITY, LOUDON COUNTY – TN
The CDC involvement under the guidance of volunteer Gregor Smee, architect, included renovating the existing facility and designing a new addition to the building. The Good Samaritan organization serves the people of Loudon County by providing food, supplies, and aid. Work was done closely with the organization to determine their greatest needs.

Learn More

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………

MUSEUM OF APPALACHIA – IRWIN HOUSE

NORRIS, ANDERSON COUNTY – TN
The Museum of Appalachia proposes to move the Irwin House, near Andersonville, a few miles from the Museum site, located at 2819 Andersonville Highway. The house will serve both as an educational component of it’s extensive collection of historic structures and to provide much needed support space.

Learn More

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………

PARK CITY PRESBYTERIAN

KNOXVILLE, KNOX COUNTY – TN
The Park City Presbyterian Church at 2204 Linden Avenue was originally built as a frame “Carpenter Gothic” church building in the late 19th century. After a fire, the church was expanded, remodeled, and a brick exterior was added. Magnificent stained glass windows, many of them World War I memorials, are throughout the sanctuary including a few surviving leaded glass windows from before the fire.

Learn More

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………

BELLE MORRIS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL

KNOXVILLE, KNOX COUNTY, TN
Belle Morris Elementary School is one of North Knoxville’s oldest schools.  With the continued growth of its population, there is a need for more classrooms and community spaces.  The CDC with the help of a volunteer architect, were asked to design a “green” building addition that could also be used as a teaching tool to help teach students and the community.  The design used sustainable design strategies that are LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certified.

Learn More

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………

THE HISTORIC AIRPLANE FILLING STATION

POWELL, KNOX COUNTY, TN
The Airplane Filling Station was originally built in 1932 and is an excellent example of a type of building style known as roadside architecture. It is located on Clinton Hwy in Powell, TN.

Learn More

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………